Monday, February 22, 2010

Value Workshop with Nashville Artist Erin Jones

A couple of weeks ago I took an afternoon workshop with Nashville, TN Artist Erin Jones. The focus of the workshop was "Value Study". I was very excited about this because you have to get the values right to have a successful painting! Erin had several setups and I chose this one because of the swirls in the fabric.



I mixed about 10 gradations of the value scale. Here is my palate with my piles of paint. This was a very good exercise and I did a value scale before I started the 2 value exercise.
2 value exercise--light and dark (shadow)

3 value exercise--light, dark and midtone--a little analysis was done before deciding what midtone I would use--should my midtone be a light or a dark???

4 value study--light, dark, 2 midtones. Once again I had to make a decision on the midtones. I chose to put them in the dark or shadow area. Notice with each additional value you add dimension to the painting.

You could keep going but at this point we ran out of time. L ast week I was in Key West, FL for a beautiful wedding at the "Little White House". I'll elaborate on my next post.


8 comments:

Art with Liz said...

What a fantastic exercise and thank you for sharing it with us. Love the juicy paint!

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Rhonda

Painting well requires so much practice and learning new techniques, doesn't it? It is so onteresting to see how you are learning the craft!

LoomisBooks.com Editor said...

Highly valuable exercise -- we should all be doing this from time to time. Thanks for posting!

~Deborah~ said...

Hi Rhonda - very interesting! I'm featuring another artist on my blog today. She lives in Paris.

We visited the Little White House in Key West last spring. The wedding must have been beautiful there.

xoxo,
Deborah

mari said...

Rhonda, this makes me really want to take painting classes. Very interesting.

Trotter said...

Hi Rhonda! Sorry for another long absence, but after a busy start of the year I decided to make a break during the Carnival week, anticipating new hard weeks ahead!!

I'm learning a lot here!! Excellent work!

Meanwhile, Blogtrotter 2 is in Haiti. Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!!

Trotter said...

Hi Rhonda! Back here to announce that March has arrived and maybe this awful winter will be gone... ;))
My sister in law is taking opainting classes; will see what comes out... ;)

Meanwhile, Blogtrotter 2 is still in Haiti, now at Malfini Beach. Hope you enjoy and have a great week!!