Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tribute to my Dad

Marion G. Hartis
World War II Veteran
Korean War Veteran
20 year career in the US Navy
Retired United States Postmaster
My Father passed away on September 19th at the age of 83 after a long battle with Alzheimer's. He was a man that enjoyed life to the fullest, a family man, an outdoorsman that taught my sons to hunt and fish, a dreamer and a romantic, a poet, a songwriter and a singer. My family and I will miss him so much. The following is a poem that he wrote while in the Navy that shows a beautiful spiritual side. I will definitely be thinking of these words as I celebrate the Holidays this year.
"Let Christ be with you this Christmas"
As the bells ring out so clear, spreading joy and Christmas cheer,
Let us all recall the holy birth of Christ our Lord this year.
While the bells of Christmas rings and an Angel choir sings,
May we all praise Christ our Lord and loving Master in all things.


We'll bow our heads in silent prayer, on that Holy Holy hour,
And thank God for all our blessings and the joys we have to share.
May the Christmas spirit be close to every Christmas tree,
And with every gift we give, Oh Lord, Let us give thanks to thee.


May Christ be with you all the way, on this joyful Christmas day,
Let him share the joy you feel in everything you do or say.
Though you be poor or rich with fame, Christ has borne your sin and shame,
So let him join you on the day of days, that bears his Holy name.

written by Marion G. Hartis on December 12, 1954, Memphis, TN


12 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sorry to hear about your dad Rhonda, what a wonderful poem to share with us.
Take care and be kind to yourself.

Paz said...

Yes, this is a wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love the photo, too.

May he rest in peace.

Big hug,
Paz

Vickie T said...

Rhonda,
This poem is beautiful. I am thinking about you during this difficult time. You are a talented, caring, beautiful person and I am grateful to call you my friend.
Love,
Vickie

The Vintage Kitten said...

Im so very sorry to read your sad news. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and brave too, to have served during those horrendous wars. The poem is beautiful. Please pass my condolense to your family. Take Care X

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments!

Gina said...

So sorry to hear about your dad Rhonda,, what a lovely tribute to him, his poem is beautiful. Thinking of you and sending hugs your way my friend Gxox

mari said...

That is a beautiful poem, and I love the photo of your father. I'm sure you will miss him, but he will always be with you, in your heart. I remember that recently you did a series of sketches of him, all of which I really liked.

GMG said...

Hi Rhonda! Now I see why you were out so long... My sincere condolences! Great post and a lovely tibute!
Blogtrotter

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks again everyone, Mari you are so right, he will always be with me in my heart.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My deepest sympathies, Rhonda! I lost my mother-in-law to Alzheimers so I know how hard that is but the end is still not easy. This was a beautiful tribute to your Dad. It is good to cherish the good memories.

{{{Hugs}}}

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks so much Pat, I do like to focus on the positives in life.

Paula Villanova said...

Wow, Rhonda, I have not been visiting blogs lately and I had not seen this post. I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear father and thank you for posting the beautiful and sensitive poem he wrote. I may print a copy of it for myself...it really reflects the true beauty of the season.