Sunday, August 2, 2009

Catching up--3 hour studies painting from life

I'm back from vacation all rested, sunburnt and rejuvinated from my trip to the beach! My husband and I took a motorcycle trip to South Carolina--Folly Beach--and I just disconnected for the week. I did manage to sneak in a trip to Savannah GA and Charleston, SC while relaxing. While in Charleston, I spent the day visiting several Galleries on "Gallery Row" admiring the beautiful pieces of art on display there. Such a treat and a reminder that I need to PAINT MORE! I'm still attending my Monday Night sessions in Franklin TN, although I did miss a few while working on the shows. Here are my four latest paintings of models from life.
The first painting below is from 2 weeks ago. I've just finished a 6 week drawing class with Dawn Whitelaw and Erin Jones and tried to incorporate what I learned in the class. I'm trying to spend more time in the designing stage instead of diving right in but when you only have 3 hours it's very hard to wait.

On the model below, I tried to capture the weight of her beautiful thick hair in this study.

This model had great hair and lovely lips!

I like to think of this model as my Greek Goddess. She has the perfect profile.

Once again, I value your opinion and your visit to my blog!

12 comments:

Paz said...

Glad to read you had a nice vacation.

I like all your portrait paintings. The models all have beautiful hair and you captured it beautifully.

Paz

GMG said...

Hi Rhonda! Lucky girl on vacation... ;)
Welcome back. We're missing you and the excellent paintings you post! I like the third one in particular; think you caught a great expression!

Meanwhile Blogtrotter is back to the «urban jungle», which Reykjavik is far from being... ;)). Enjoy and have a fabulous week!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Paz,
Thanks I did have a great vacation but I'm back and ready to paint more (I'll have another one after tonight)!

Hi Gil,
I had a very relaxing vacaion which I needed. I'm back now with a vengence and ready to visit the urban jungle!

Karen said...

Glad you got some time to unplug! We all need that don't we!
These studies are lovely, they all have a wonderful sense of the beauty and dignity of the women in them.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Karen, I really need some time to rest and rejuvinate so I can paint more head studies.

Suzanne said...

Nice to hear that you had a wonderful vacation. Your paintings are so lovely and looking forward to you sharing some more.
Also belated Happy Birthday hope you had a wonderful day.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Suzanne! I'm going to celebrate my Birthday all week, at my age I deserve it (lol). I have lots of paintings to post so you'll see more soon.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Glad you enjoyed your vacation! After a show you really need to make a 'space' before you can start new work anyway. Some people get 'blue', but you went off and had a great time. Perfect! Now, back to work! Three nice figure/portraits!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

You are right, Kelley, I'm rested and ready to go (I needed that vacation). I don't really feel blue, just need to funnel my energy and focus again.

Gina said...

..wow, love this series also Rhonda..esp the second one. Glad to hear you had a wonderful away..think i could do with a good dose of cobweb clearing here..somewhere warmer! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sounds like you had a nice bvacation Rhonda, and I'm happy to read in the post below that your show ent well! We'll be going on vacation soon ...I can't wait!
The models are pretty girls and you captured their features beautifuly. I'm sure painting portraits is difficult as you have to be so exact.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Gina,
I forget that it's Winter there--you can visit me, it was 92 degrees here today. I'm glad you like the studies, I like the 2nd one also.

Pat,
Vacations are great, especially the laid back ones with no agenda. It is difficult to paint portraits, if you're off a fraction--you could have a cousin or a distant relative.