Sunday, June 21, 2009

Onion Still Life

I haven't been a very attentive blogger lately but time hasn't allowed it. I've been painting ballerinas lately in anticipation of my next show with Faye Christian Phillips at the Capitol Arts. This post contains an onion still life that is part of my show at The Gallery at 916. Onions are very interesting to paint; lots of thin layers and colors.
Since it's Father's Day, I went to see my Dad early this morning then my hubby and I went on a little motorcycle ride. It's a beautiful, hot, humid, sunny day in Southern Kentucky and I recharge my batteries by riding (as the passenger of course) and looking at farm land, cows, horses, goats, hay bales, corn crops etc. etc. I'm a country girl at heart, what can I say!

10 x 8
Rhonda Hartis Smith © 2009

11 comments:

Paz said...

Excellent painting. Just bought red onions this morning. ;-)

Happy Father's Day to your dad and hubby.

Nice to rejuvenate yourself on your bike ride.

Paz

mari said...

I hope your upcoming show goes well. I love onions. One of my grandmothers told me that onions are brain food. I believed her and ate a lot.

By the way, do you know the trick to cutting onions without tearing up? Put them in the fridge! For at least an hour, until their gases gel. It works!

Suzanne said...

By gosh those onions look so real, what a wonderful job.
There is quiet a difference between onions and ballerinas.

Good luck with getting your paintings done.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love the onions and the orange below.
Sounds like you had a wonderful day, Rhonda. When is your show with Faye?

Trotter said...

Hi Rhonda! Truly appreciate this one. Amazing how you managed to control the colours and reflections. Great painting!!

Blogtrotter is showing some sights of the most northern capital city in the world. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks everyone! Counting down the days til my next show. . .

Gary Keimig said...

really wonderful blog, Rhonda. Love your art.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thank you Gary, your art is wonderful and you're from Wyoming--one of my favorite places. Yellowstone & Tetons--does not get any better!

gianlucio said...

hello Rhonda, congratulations for the latest paintings are fabulous!
Ciao a presto
Gianlucio

Brenda said...

This is so realistic! (I know I've said it before, but I must say it again. You are a fantastic artist, Rhonda.)

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Gianlucio, thanks so much--I really appreciate your comment.

Brenda,
Thanks you too, have you been writing a lot?