Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Live Model Session, Monday night

Last night I painted in Franklin, TN and this is my study of Becka. The lighting was dramatic, shadowing her eyes. She has wonderful pouty lips which were fun to paint. I need to lighten up the background to make this a stronger painting. I was a little challenged because I had my canvas reversed and I was painting on an unprimed surface. Guess I was really in a hurry. Being the optimist that I am, I realized that this forced me to use more paint. I'll make sure I have my canvas on the primed side in the future though--much easier!

This is the same model painted previously. Her hair color was different.


I thought a little motivation was in order so I posted several of my head studies from the Monday night sessions. I really like it, I can look up and see years of head studies and hopefully some progression in the right direction.

More studies and I still have room on the other side for new ones!

Thanks for joining me, can't wait for next Monday night!





6 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a wonderful gallery you've created! It must be so satisfying to see all your portraits in progression.

Thanks for the "welocme back"! The week went by so fast -- I ahd fun with my grandson and now miss him so much!

Paz said...

I liked that you posted your head studies up in your room. Painting really look good. How interesting the model has different colored hair now but I can still see that it's the same person. Great job!

Paz

GMG said...

Hi Rhonda! Another hectic week and my tour of blogosphere suffers... ;)
Lovely studies!! This model has a somehow rough look...
Blogtrotter just ended the tour of temples in Old Town Vilnius and waits for you there. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

gianlucio said...

Hello Rhonda, as you see from time to time I come to see your work and this is a painting that I like a lot.
Ciao
Gianlucio

Brenda said...

What a great feeling it must be to look up and see all of those head studies you've done! Amazing! (BTW...I Love your work room.)

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Pat,

Thanks, I didn't know if they would be overkill but when I get tired of them, I can take them down.

Hi Paz,
I had another painting that I thought was the model but wasn't sure (what does that say).

Hi Trotter,
You're right the model does look rough because I was painting on the wrong side of the canvas (LOL).

Hi Gianlucio,
Glad you stopped by to check out my blog! Come back soon!

Hi Brenda,
Yes I am enjoying it, but when I start talking to them I'm in trouble.