Friday, April 3, 2009

More sketches

More sketches, I'm branching out now drawing more of the figure. He looks pretty sad on this sketch--guess I could have put a little smile on him. He was a little under the weather.

He was feeling a little better for this sketch. The nose photographed darker than it was drawn, I'm not sure how to avoid this. Still need to take that photography class. . .

Last Saturday I went to a friend's studio and I did my first "abstract". It was a lot of fun--stay tuned for my next post. I don't usually think outside the box so it was a stretch for me.

8 comments:

L.Holm said...

These are great, Rhonda. I like the expression on the top one--it seems absolutely authentic, and the body posture relaxed into the cushions is perfect.
Do you shoot the images outside in bright shade? I don't know if that makes a difference w/graphite sketches.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Liz,

I shot these under fluorescent lighting. Thank you Liz, I just turn the TV on TVLand and he's posing for me (LOL).

Marian Fortunati said...

This is so cool, Rhonda!! A treasure for you always and, of course, the best thing you can do for practice!!! Does he mind that you are sketching him?? I guess not.
My family would probably be self conscious... My husband would tell jokes.. My dad would want to talk to me and my 9 year old... well forget it.
GOOD FOR YOU... These are not just good posts they are truly treasures!!

Paz said...

I like the sketches. Nice to see him awake in these. ;-)

Hope he's feeling better.

Paz

Gina said...

These are great sketches Rhonda!
To answer your Q re my blog post..an op shop: is short from opportunity shop - which you would know as a thrift store! "D
Have a great week Gxox

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Marian,

I think I will try to get him to smile a little for the next sketch. I have to work pretty fast on the face because he moves but he doesn't seem to mind me sketching him. I can't get anyone else in my family to post (unless they're asleep of course).

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Paz, he's feeling better but still having up and down days. When you get to be his age, you like to take naps (LOL).

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Gina,

I like that "op shop"--one of my favorite places to shop!!! Thanks for clarifying.