Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Abstract--thinking outside the box

I spent the day with my friend Betty, a fellow artist, to attempt to paint abstractly. I met Betty when we went to New York City to Mr. Kinstler's class. Betty is a fountain of information and very enthusiastic about her art. This is very inspiring to me, thank you so much Betty!
Abstract painting is totally the opposite of my normal thought process so I thought it would be a very good exercise. Betty prepared the panels that we worked on and I just went with the flow. Here is my panel, ok I'm jump starting my creative juices--where is my inspiration??? We are using acrylic paints, which is new for me since I paint in oils.
Ahhhh my inspiration! As I've said many times before, I love fabric and this color combination appeals to me so let's go.

Prepping the surface, looks like the surface of the moon right now, looking for a little excitement. One thing that I liked about the panel is the feeling of movement.

As soon as it dries, I'll start applying color. I can't wait!!!!

I begin applying color and playing with the feel of the panel surface to find my focal point. It's very relaxing and fun!

After trying all of the colors in my "inspiration fabric", I decided to tone down the pinks and bring out more of the blue and brown. Betty had a beautiful gold paint that I couldn't resist.

I basically ran out of time and was still tweaking. I think I could still be working on it and it's been 3 weeks. I was surprised at how long you can work with the color. Since it's abstract, I can work on this panel as long as I want until it looks just right!
Any title suggestions for Rhonda and Betty's art?



14 comments:

The Vintage Kitten said...

Its very different from your usual paintings, I like it alot. It looks like 2 gold leaves, so maybe call it 'Gold Leaf' or 'Goldfinger' as it also looks as though you have painted it with your hands and not a brush or a knife (sorry Im not 'au fait' with the techniques you use). Of course my suggestion of Goldfinger has nothing to do with my liking for Shirley Bassey LOL! Seriously though, me and Mr Kitten have been staring at it for quite awhile and the words that came to mind were 'turbulent' 'typhoon' 'tornado'. I thought of Dorothys dream in the wizard of oz and came up with the title 'Kansas Canvas' and 'Edge of the Maelstrom' All of Mr K's suggestions had trees in the title. I see lots of movement like a whirlwind X

Paz said...

Yes, this is different from your usual works but it's very cool.

Paz

Suzanne said...

Yes I think something with the name gold in it.
I like Golden Flow, mainly because I love the gold paint and how you said you would go with the flow on your abstract and see how it goes.

I love it and could imagine taking lots of time to finish it.

GMG said...

Hi Rhonda! TGIF and a holiday here!!
Lovely to see the developing work!!

Blogtrotter is still turning around Vilnius. Enjoy and have a great long weekend!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Ms. Kitten,
I love your suggestions, it does look kind of like a tornado, whirling around. Whew, my head is spinning just thinking about it. Have a great weekend!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Paz, it's very different but now I'm back to painting the fountain again (LOL).

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Suzanne,
Love your suggestion too. I'm thinking I could have fun with silver paint too. . .
ps your wedding shots on FB are wonderful.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Trotter,
I'll have to visit and see where the next adventure is! Thanks for your comment!

Marian Fortunati said...

Fascinating, Rhonda!! I'm jealous that you have branched out into abstract. .... and it's really lovely
Luminescent (is that how you spell it??)
It's strange about abstract... I think you just have to like them or you don't... Probably because I don't really understand them, I don't know how you would tell if it's good, other than the gut reaction which in this case is "I like it!!"

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Marian,

I don't really understand it either, I guess it's how you interpret it so it's something different to everyone--too deep for me!

Thanks for stopping by!

Brenda said...

I LOVE this! Each time I look at it, I think "swirl." Maybe "Swirl of Leaves?" "Swirling Leaves?"

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Brenda,

I really lke swirling leaves--thanks for your suggestion.

Gina said...

Gosh I love this Rhonda!! Bet you had fun..the texture is wonderful and the gold paint sets it all off beautifully! Gx
ps glad you made the cake, it's definitely a fave here! :)

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Gina, it was fun. I've made the cake twice, love your recipes!