Saturday, March 21, 2009

Quick Sketches--a week of practice

It has been a while since I have pushed myself with quick sketches and when you see these you will know that I need A LOT OF PRACTICE! My wonderful artist friend Marian Pacsuta was kind enough to invite me and a few others to her studio to paint from life. We did several quick studies (actually all of them were quick to me) with the model changing poses every 5 minutes, then 10 minutes building up to 30 minutes. My ongoing goals are to work on my drawing skills, my light dark patterns, improve my values and I would like to loosen up a little with my brush strokes.


We have vowed to paint together more often (goal is once a month minimum) -- from life -- either by hiring a model or plein air (painting outside). I'm looking forward to a fun Spring and Summer!


below--5 minute sketch



10 minute sketch



10 minute sketch


20 minute sketch



30 minute sketch



11 comments:

Gina said...

These look great!..you've captured lots of detail and light/shadows in such a short time..I can remember doing this in life drawing..and a good process to go through!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Gina, practice is always good isn't it.

Brenda said...

Beautiful! (And amazing that you did these in such a short time!)

Kostas said...

The practice is the one leg for the learning, the other leg is the theory!
I admire your technique, that with certain lines you create beautiful subjects!
Congratulations

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Brenda,
I felt like I had forever when doing the 30 min sketch. Thanks!

Kostas,
Thanks so much for your nice comments and you are certainly correct about the practice and the theory.

Paz said...

Very cool! I like the idea of the sketching practice -- the minute changes.

Paz

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Paz,

Yes those 5 minute sketches go REAL quick but good practice on blocking in your subject.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow a lot of motion and grace in such quick sketches!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Pat, I've been working on motion too (very hard for me).

Portrait Painting By Johanna Spinks said...

Wonderful! I love these Rhonda!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Johanna! I need to do these daily.