Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Monday's Live Model Session

Last Monday night we were delighted to paint Roxie. I've painted her many times in the past and she does such a good job. I do see Roxie's likeness in this study but there's something not quite right. . . maybe if I had three more hours I might figure it out! It did seem like I had lots and lots of time with the 3 hours when you compare to the 5,10,15. . .30 minute sketches last week. Oh well, practice, practice and practice more.

This is my Dad. I have decided to sketch him each time I visit him, if possible. I have a special sketch book just for him. He was a very good model tonight, I was able to capture him watching "funniest videos". This is about a 30 minute sketch, I wish now that I had just used charcoal but this is the first sketch of many. I think his nose is a little big and a few other errors but it does look like him (a little?).




14 comments:

İlhami Uyar said...

I congrulatıon for you for interestid in painting,all paintings and photos very nice,I wish your dad longlife,I will visit your blog everytime to see nice painting and landscape photos.Best wishes and regards,have a nice wörk.

KOSTAS said...

Very good work, most excellent the technique with marvellous colours.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Rhonda
You capture expressions very well. I think using your Dad as a sketch model is a nice idea -- it will be a nice keepsake of your times together.
Hugs, Pat

Suzanne said...

Both of them look amazing to me. What a great book the sketches of your dad would be.

mari said...

I like both of them but I particularly like the one of your father. Maybe its simplicity is what strikes me, I'm not sure.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Ilhami,
Thank you so much for your kind comments, my Dad is very special to me. Please visit again.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thank you Kostas, I keep trying to improve.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Pat,
That's what I thought, that it would mean a lot to me. I sketched him again tonight. I'll have to post.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks so much, I'll keep posting my sketches. I really need to work on my drawing skills more and thought this would be a great way to do it.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Mari,

When I sketch, I usually "line draw" instead of massing. I'll have to try them both and dig out my neglected drawing books.

MiniFlashBox.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
L.Holm said...

Love the sketch of your father! What a fantastic plan to sketch him each time you see him. What treasures!

L.Holm said...

also wanted to add the the colors in the live model sketch are gorgeous! beautifully done.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Liz,
Thank you so much, I couldn't sketch him today but I'm trying to every time I visit.
Thanks,
Rhonda