Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Monday Night Painting from Life--3 hour study

On Monday nights I go to Franklin Tennessee to paint from life. I choose to travel an hour and twenty minutes to and from for the "experience". Not only do we paint from life, but we critique each other's paintings--in a nice but honest way. As an artist, it is so important to have a support group to get honest feedback and I feel very fortunate that I have this talented group of artists to paint with. I also have local friends that are artists and we get together from time to time to paint and talk about art. We have a relationship that allows us to critique in an analytical and impartial manner since we've been painting together for about 9 years (time flies). I know, I feel blessed! And now I have my friends in blogland to help me in my quest to be a better artist. Win Win Win




10 comments:

Suzanne said...

She is just so beautiful and you Monday nights just sound such a wonderful way to spend time, I would love to have other people with similar interests nearby.
Enjoy it all it really sounds awesome.

Gina said...

I love this painting!..what a beautiful model. Sounds like a great group you have Rhonda :D

Paz said...

Lovely!

Paz

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Rhonda

What a beautful portrait! I like profiles, and your model has a strong determined chin which looks best in that pose.

So happy to hear "Tranquil Moments" won an honerable mention in the exhibition! I think it should have won a prize!

It must be wonderful to be able to work alongside other artists and get their advice and critiques.

GMG said...

Hi Rhonda!
Sorry I couldn’t visit you for the last two weeks! I’m trying to catch-up and see the wonders you have around! And you have another beauty here!!
Also loved to see the post on the «Weekend Retreat»! Great works!

Meanwhile, one of the most beautiful Forts in India waits you and your comments at Blogtrotter: – The Amber Fort! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Brenda said...

So soft and beautiful. Love it!

gianlucio said...

Hello, today is the feast of the woman, GREETING!
Ciao!!!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks everyone for your support and comments!

mari said...

As usual, I'm late to the party. Sorry! This painting is lovely and I'm amazed that you can produce such a work in so short a time. The first time I saw this it reminded me of some of John Singer Sargeant's works. And yes, you are lucky to have the support and encouragement of fellow painters.

Michelle Burnett said...

Wow...this is such a lovely painting...a very nice subject, such wonderful fleshtones and I love the hair and earring too.

It is obviously worth the long drive for the experience!