Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Winter Forest

I had a few goals in mind before starting this painting:

one day to paint it

PAINT BIG

pile the paint on

subject matter was trees


So I jogged over to some trees next to our house and snapped a reference picture and began painting. It was such a beautiful day with a gorgeous blue sky. I really had a good time sloshing the paint on with my palate knife and used my brush a little. Every once in a while I would lose a glob of paint but eventually found it, in the wrong place of course. The painting is a 30" x 40", much larger than usual. I am going to try to step out of my comfort zone in 2009 and do more of these challenges.



I have entered my painting in the ART WORKS 2nd Annual Members Fine Art Exhibition from February 13 -27, 2009 at the Gallery at 916, 916 State Street, Bowling Green, KY



Please see the exhibition if you get a chance, we have so many talented artists in our area.



30 x 40
Rhonda Hartis Smith © 2009


15 comments:

Suzanne said...

Stunning and you really notice the texture when you enlarge it.
I love texture.

Rhonda said...

Thanks Suzanne, sometimes I overwork paintings but since I only had the 1 day. . .

http://www.mischiefmaricookies.com/blog said...

Rhonda, you painted that in one day? omg. omg. Yes, do more of these! And give Paz a BIG hug when you see her!

Gina said...

Love this Rhonda..and the texture is fabulous..the blue sky behind really sets it off too. Have a great weekend

KOSTAS said...

Amazing composition.
Your creations is admirable with improbable nuances and very beautifully texture!

gianlucio said...

Hello Rhonda, congratulations for your paintings, if you should follow my blog of art.
Every now and step to you.
Ciao!!!

Rhonda said...

Hi Mari,
I did give Paz a big hug and we had a wonderful lunch together. I wish you could have joined us!

Rhonda said...

Hi Gina,

It was a beautiful day--and it was way past due (winter blues)! Thanks so much, glad you like it.

Rhonda said...

Thank you Kostas, I'll have to try more of these; it was fun. I've been in New York City and went to several museums, I've been inspired!

Rhonda said...

Gianlucio,
Thanks for your kind comments and I will certainly check out your blog.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Rhonda!
Oh you met Paz! How nice!
Hope you had a good time in NYC!

This painting is really nice and it's hard to believe you painted it all in one day.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Rhonda

Yes, last weekend I was out on eastern Long Island visiting family so I wouldn't have been able to meet up with you --hopefully next time!

Brooklyn Heights is an interesting place to visit and close to Manhattan....the views of the skyline from the promenade are worth seeing, so yes, you must put it on your list.:-)

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Pat,

Hopefully I can go back next year and maybe we can meet!

Deborah said...

Great quick painting! I love the way you describe painting - very animated! Love it!


Cuz Deborah

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Deborah, glad you like it. When are you coming back to visit?