Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Weekend Retreat

Last weekend I was invited to a little retreat to a cabin hosted by my cousin Terry and her daughter Jaime. There were 19 of us in all (including 5 children) and we were instructed to bring our sewing machines. Terry is an excellent quilter and we were to make 6 blocks each out of strips of fabric. The triangle in the middle was for our name since these squares will go into a memory quilt. We had such a good time, laughing, eating, sewing and catching up with family and friends that we are going to do this every year. Now that we have some experience in quilting, I'm sure next year's quilt blocks will be much more complex. I believe that quilting is an art form and you can get very creative with the fabrics.
These were the blocks for one of the quilts--very colorful!

I was very excited because it snowed while I was there. This is the view of the lake from the cabin.

I had to take my paints with me and I painted three small paintings while I was there. This is for Terry, signifying her landmark birthday with the cupcake (purple is her favorite color).

And this little painting was for Jaime.

In January, Kentucky was hit with a severe ice storm and I saw several trees that were broken on my journey to the cabin.

Another beautiful view from the cabin.

And now It's time to go back home to the hustle bustle of the work week!










15 comments:

Suzanne said...

Love the quilt. I have done a little patchwork, but I am too impatient and want to finish straight away.
And the painting is just gorgeous.

Marian Fortunati said...

I was just at a gallery last month that had a whole display of beautiful and very different quilts. Quilting is a wonderful artform!!!

That last photo is spectacular!! Bet it would make an interesting painting!

Paz said...

Sounds like you had a nice weekend. Your quilt looks terrific. What a great idea to get everyone together to make it.

Your paintings and photos also look terrific. I look at my beach painting everyday and smile. ;-)

Paz

Brenda said...

Glad you had a nice weekend. I have many happy memories of quilting day at both of my grandmothers' homes when I was growing up. It truly is an art. And I loved the painting of the kids. You are SO talented, Rhonda!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Suzanne,
Yes I'm impatient also but I've made a few quilts--several t-shirt quilts. Thanks so much!

Hi Marian,
Now I'm getting the urge to quilt again! The rocking chairs was the last picture I took before leaving.

Hi Paz,
Glad you're still enjoying your mini painting!

Brenda,
I come from a family of quilters, I have a square from my great-grandmother's quilt framed under glass in my dining room--one of my most sentimental possessions!

Paula Villanova said...

Quilts surely can be a work of art...and a labor of love! Great pictures, and I particularly like your sewing machine painting!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks Paula, the paintings were only 2 x 3 so they were mini's.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful quilt! What a nice way to celebrate a special birthday.

I love the paintings you made while there, and the last photgraph of the rocking chairs on the porch could win a prize, Rhonda!

Amanda said...

Hi, Rhonda! This is such a beautiful post about our fun weekend.

It was great to see you,again, although we can't remember when or where we met before. I talked to Terry this morning. She and I were both wishing that we could re-live last weekend. I think everyone does. I was so happy that her neices, Jaime, and the grand daughters were excited about learning how to quilt and sew. I know that makes Terry happy.

The paintings you did were beautiful. Your photos are great, too. I haven't had time to write a post yet, but when I do, I'll link yours to mine.

Again, it was great to see you. I'm looking forward to our shopping trip at Whittles whenever the two of you decide to meet there.

Until then, I'll see you in blogland!

Baron's Life said...

Your blog, paintings and pictures ROCK.
I enjoyed my visit and will be back.
You are certainly very very talented.
God Bless and thanks for sharing

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Pat,
I think everyone has voted, I need to paint the rocking chairs--I do like the picture. Thanks for your input--little Leo is really growing!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Amanda,

I really did enjoy the weekend and getting to hear your Amanda stories and laughing. That was the best part, spending the weekend having fun--I needed it. Yes, I'll see you in blog land!

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Thanks for visiting Baron, hope you will stop by again. You have an interesting site too. My husband and I have two motorcycles and love to travel everywhere on them.

Gina said...

what a beautiful quilt and so special..with all the different contributions! Love your paintings and snowy scenes..esp the rocking chair one..have a good week Rhonda Gx

Joan Breckwoldt said...

This sounds like a very memorable weekend. Your little paintings are lovely, you seemed to capture the bright spirit of the weekend. Thank you for sharing!
Joan