Wednesday, December 3, 2008

For all you basketball fans. . .

12 x 16
Rhonda Hartis Smith © 2008

This is my first official "sports" painting and everyone loves college basketball! The couple that commissioned this painting are BIG North Carolina Tar Heels fans and wanted a painting to go in their room devoted to -- you've got it, The Tar Heels. So they gave me several items and I came up with this still life. My favorite part of the painting is the basketball, it was in a plastic box and there were lots of neat reflections. I'm not crazy about painting the lettering and had to work really hard on them. This is my contribution to basketball season!

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Rhonda the basketball looks so realistic. Its fantastic, I really like the approach you took on this painting.

Paz said...

Very cool painting, Rhonda.

Paz

Rhonda said...

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you, usually it takes quite a while to set up a still life. The better your composition, the better the painting will be.

Thank you Paz!

The Vintage Kitten said...

I took a good look at the painting before I read your post because it was so life like and my eye (well eyes, I have two, Im not a cyclops but you know what I mean) was drawn to the ball, its fabulous and the reflection of it in the box is brilliant! Im not sporty but I really do like this painting. If a painting makes me want to look closer and take it all in then that is a good thing and what good art should make you want to do, especially when the subject isnt what I would choose, (Im a floral/landscape girl), but this painting really 'did it' for me. The couple who commissioned you for it must be thrilled. You really are so talented...Well done!!! X

Rhonda said...

Well now my head is swelled up as big as the basketball in this painting! Thank you so much for your comments, the reflections of the basketball is my favorite part also. Yes they are very happy with the painting and I hope they will enjoy it for a long, long time. I'm not really a sporty gal myself but I do like this one.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Pat said...

This looks amazingly real, Rhonda! I'm sure your customers were thrilled with it

Rhonda said...

They were very pleased, I'm happy to say.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Deborah said...

Excellent! My daughter's family would take this in a heartbeat - they are Tarheel fanatics!

Just visiting a few friends today - still don't feel great. I'll be back later.

Hugs,
Cousin Deborah

Rhonda said...

Deborah,
I didn't know you were sick! I knew your hubby had been tho. Hope you're feeling normal again soon!
Hugs too,
Cuz Rhonda