Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Cousin, Jr. Hartis

My cousin, David Hartis Jr. (known as Jr.) age 63 was buried today after a long battle with cancer. He was an avid outdoorsman excelling in hunting and fishing. He was a master at many things--bow maker, call maker (turkey, ducks), knife maker, fishing lures, carpentry, excellent marksman and was also very artistic. But most important he was a family man and he loved his wife Loretta and daughters Lynn and Tia and their families very much. He was loved by many and will be dearly missed!


The image above is a painting that Jr. painted and gave me of an American Kestrel, I love the detail of the bird, flowers, even barbed wire. I keep it in my studio as one of my inspirations. Below is a painting he did of a turkey. My son is also an avid outdoorsman and when he killed his first turkey, Jr. mounted the feathers and painted the turkey on the leather piece. The bottom image shows the feathers also.







8 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Rhonda, I'm sorry to hear about Jr. I hope you don't mind that I posted his obituary on the family site.

It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Hugs,
Deborah

Rhonda said...

Hi Deborah,
Of course I don't mind and he was a special man.
Hugs back,
Rhonda

Sandra Ree said...

I'm so sorry Rhonda, your cousin sounded like a wonderful man. And very talented too, I love his painting of the American Kestrel and the turkey, the feathers your son added to that painting was a sweet tribute.

Your Pop Art, Enchanted Forest and Roxie in Feathers...all beautiful!

Gina said...

So sorry to hear the sad news about your cousin Rhonda..what an artistic family you have..the kestrel painting is so clever..it's lovely that you have this in your studio and draw happy memories as well as inspiration.

Paz said...

Remarkable-sounding man. Very nice art work. May he rest in peace.

Paz

Rhonda said...

Thanks all for your kind, thoughtful comments, he will be missed by many but he's no longer suffering.

Brenda said...

Like his cousin, Jr. was very talented. I'm so sorry you lost him.

Pat said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin Rhonda. He was a talented artist also.