Thursday, August 7, 2008

Erin and Jana Rose

Rhonda Hartis Smith © 2008
This is a painting of Erin from our live model session last Monday night. Erin is dressed in a 1920's style with a long flowing halter dress on. My canvas wasn't big enough to capture her lovely pose so I opted for a head and shoulder composition. She still needs work, of course, but I have about 4 hours of painting time on her.

Rhonda Hartis Smith © 2008

Jana is my niece and I have always adored the picture that was taken by her father, Gerald. Her long, flowing honey colored hair and sweet little face is what I love about it. Jana is all grown up now with two little ones of her own and I can't wait to paint them also. This is one of the first figurative pieces that I did and I had lots and lots of advice and help from my good friend Angela.

I'm working on a painting that I hope to post soon--a 24x36 ballerina--Heather, she was only three years old at the time but she's an adult now.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

YOU ARE GOOD!!!!!

Hugs,
Cousin Deborah

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Deborah you are so sweet!

Paz said...

Wonderful portraits, both.

What a great idea to just do the head shot, since you didn't have enough room for the entire painting. I love the barret in Erin's hair.

What a beautiful young girl, Jana makes with that beautiful flowing hair. yes, wonderful portraits, indeed. How long did it take to do the paintings?

Paz

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Hi Paz,

Erin took about 4 hours and Jana took months (ha). I'm a little faster than I used to be. I love Erin's barret too.

Rhonda